My research is mainly concerned with nonlinear optimization. My work has included
- Global Optimization: study of algorithm with theoretical convergence properties and application to different real world problems;
- Semidefinite Programming (SDP): study of optimality conditions for nonlinear programming problems arising as low rank reformulations of linear SDPs, and
nonlinear programming based algorithms for solving SDP relaxations of the max cut problem;
- Generalized Nash Equilibrium Problems (GNEPs): theory and algorithms for specific classes like jointly convex GNEPs and Generalized Potential Nash Equilibrium Problems. Application to real world problems as computation offloading in mobile cloud computing.
- Mixed Integer Non Linear Programming: algorithms for convex functions depending on mixed variables
- Hazardous Material Transportation: game theory based models
- Machine learning: optimization based approaches for feature ranking, applications in BCI, and NILM both by Deep Learning and Optimization
You may find an updated list of my publications here (also available on Google Scholar).
New: Marco Sciandrone and I finished the survey Nonlinear Optimization and Support Vector Machines .
I partecipated to the optimization of the Italian Volley Tournament schedule for 2016/17 with the Global Optimization Laboratory of the University of Florence. We successfully developed a mixed integer optimization model to solve the complex problem of scheduling the volley torunament. An official post from the Italian Volley League is now available . The schedule has been officially presented in Bologna – a video of the whole event is available (go to minute 27).
At this link you can find the Branch and Bound algorithm for Standard Quadratic Programming (StQP) described in the paper A new branch-and-bound algorithm for standard quadratic programming problems realized with Giampaolo Liuzzi and Marco Locatelli .
I took part to the development of the SpeeDP code that can be used through this website.
- I took part to the development of some global optimization algorithms (DFSA, DDFSA, DIRMIN, DIRDFN, DIRECT) part of the DFL library downloadable here.
[MIND-13/08/2018] Un logiciel de synthèse et d'optimisation de procédés de séparation de gaz par membranes. IDDN.FR.001.460015.000.S.A.2018.000.31500
In am currently teaching:
In 2018/19 I taught Algoritmi per il web for graduate students (Facoltà di Ingegneria Algoritmi per il web)
In 2014/2015 I taught Optimization for graduate students (Facoltà di Ingegneria Ottimizzazione)
You may find here an extended curriculum vitae in English and in Italian.
Below, just a short bio:
- From July 2020 Associate professor at Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ingegneria Informatica, Università di Roma Tor Vergata.
- January 2019 Associate Editor in the area "Design and Analysis of Algorithms: Continuous" for INFORMS Journal on Computing.
- November 2017 National Qualification as Full Professor.
- November 2013 National Qualification as Associate Professor.
- From 2012 Assistant professor at Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ingegneria Informatica, Università di Roma Tor Vergata.
- From Dec. 2010 Assistant professor at Dipartimento di Informatica, Sistemi e Produzione, Università di Roma Tor Vergata.
- Opt. 2008 - Dec. 2010 Assistant professor at Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell'Impresa, Università di Roma Tor Vergata.
- Opt. 2007 - Opt. 2008 Postdoc position in Operations Research (MAT09) Department of Computer and Systems Science "Antonio Ruberti'', Faculty of Engineering, Sapienza University of Rome.
- November 2006 - September 2007 appointment contract as researcher in the PRIN 2005 program: Problemi e metodi innnovativi nell'ottimizazione non lineare, Italy.
- November 2000- October 2003 Philosophy doctor in "Operations Research'' at Sapienza
University of Rome. Final exam March the 8th, 2004.
- July, 2001Engineer qualification granted by Engineers Association of
- May the 29th, 2000 Master degree in Computer Science Engineering summa cum
laude, Sapienza University of Rome.